Thursday, January 7, 2016

I Have A Boyfriend

Cabenella, Catherine. Mame and Mikey From America's Next Top Model. Digital image. Buddy TV. Buddy TV, n.d. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.


I laid motionless in bed as I impatiently waited for the hours to tick by. For the twentieth time that hour, I grabbed my phone from the nightstand and checked the time. It read 2:45 AM; only five minutes had passed since I just previously checked.  I placed my phone back on the nightstand and continued to stare off into the vast darkness that filled the space. Only fifteen more minutes before I was supposed to go meet Mike.
Fifteen minutes passed. I summoned up the courage to actually go, and quietly got up. The nerves were slowly settling in the pit of my stomach, causing me to rethink the entire situation. The only thing that was going through my head was the fact that I already have a boyfriend. I quickly suppressed the thought as I pulled the covers off my body, immediately being hit by the cold air my blanket was previously sheltering me from. I walked across the room, opened the door without making any noise at all, stuck my head around it to make sure the coast was clear, and swiftly closed it behind me. I tiptoed almost inaudibly across the hallway of the college dormitory, reaching Mike’s room in a matter of seconds. I stood in front of his door, suddenly overcome by a sense of guilt, a sense of dread. Why am I doing this? I have a boyfriend for goodness sake, I thought to myself. Images of George kept popping into my head; the smoothness of his skin, the genuinity of his smile, and his charismatic persona. It wasn’t a matter of which was the better one out of the two, but a matter of availability. Mike was here and George wasn’t; he left me without a trace. The last time I spoke to him was last Tuesday night, and he was gone by Wednesday morning. He just disappeared into the darkness of the night, and ever since Mike had kind of been the light of my life. Despite the fact that he technically still was my boyfriend, did he really expect me to keep longing for him after he left? I shook away the thoughts and proceeded to knock. I heard shuffling on the other side of the door, and soon enough I was face to face with Mike. His long blonde hair was messy and he had a lazy smile on his face.
“Hi,” he said, in his soft, raspy, alluring voice.
“Hey,” I replied, with a hint of hesitation.
He moved to the side, allowing me to enter the room. I made my way over to his bed and took a seat, waiting for him to copy my actions. However, instead he moved to the other side of the bed, and crawled in, motioning for me to do the same thing. I got in and laid down next to him, placing my head on his chest. I listened to his steady heartbeat, which was rapidly increasing as I slowly ran my hands up and down his chest. I moved my head to the crook of his neck, taking in the tantalizing, minty aroma. Just when I started dozing off, a fierce light blinded me. I opened my eyes and saw that Mike had turned on the light. He forcefully pushed me off him, and stood up with his back facing me.
“Mike, what are you doing? What’s going on?” I asked, still a little disoriented.
“I... I just... I can’t. I can’t,” he replied.
“What? You can’t what?” I asked, confused and slightly irritated.
“I just can’t. I can’t do this.” He turned around. 
“What do you mean? Why not?” I asked. He looked at me. I shot him a perplexed look.
He folded his arms across his chest and shifted his eyes towards the floor, evidently avoiding my question.
“Why not?” I repeated, more sternly this time.
He looked up at me again, this time with guilt written all over his face.
“Because I have a boyfriend.”

5 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. I really wasn't expecting it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious. I really wasn't expecting it. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice story I liked it very much!11!1!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great writing. Clever ending and title. I really shipped Mame and Justin so it is heart-wrenching for me but great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this a lot. With such simplicity you managed to really pull me into the story and surprise me with a little laugh.

    ReplyDelete