Thursday, January 22, 2015

Monsters of the Dark

Baget, Andre. "Intruder." Intruder. Shuttershock, n.d. Web. 23 Jan. 2015.

It’s always the most terrifying part of the day, turning off the lights before going to bed.
I often find myself sprinting to my destination and take in that warm feeling of safety.
That feeling only the light can give me. I’m scared of the unknown and the creatures that linger in the darkness.
This night something is different; I can feel the presence of something terrifying.
I walk down the hallway like I always do, getting ready to make a run for my bed after turning the lights off, but I don’t even reach the light switch when darkness surrounds me.
I hear a growl behind me and immediately wince and find a little bit of comfort by stepping into a corner. I hear a loud breathing noise rushing towards me and I hold my breath.
The evil ghost brushes my leg with its claws and I can’t help but scream.
As I stand in my corner I can feel that the creature is standing about an inch away from me. Its hot breath makes the hair on my arm prickle and my heart is jumping out of my chest. I can pick up a slight scent of lemon before I feel myself drop to the floor.

When I wake up the first thing I see is light and I instantly feel secure. I start looking around the room and find my mum sitting next to my bed in a chair. The room is all white. Am I in a hospital? I think too hard and I groan in agony because my head feels like it will explode. The sound I make draws my mother’s attention to me and she rushes to my bed.
“Finally you’re awake! I found you in the dark hallway and immediately brought you to the hospital. The doctor said you have a mild concussion. What happened? Aren’t you scared of the dark?,” my mother asks. I don’t answer, because it would hurt my head too much.
I see my big, white, fluffy dog Ghost come into the room. I invite him onto my bed with a swift hand movement and he digs his claws into my leg to jump up onto the bed. As I cuddle with him the scent of lemons enters my nose. My eyes widen in disbelief.
“Mum, I think Ghost attacked me in the hallway! I thought it was a monster!”, I exclaim.
“Oh, honey, you have to stop believing in that stuff, you’re 13, stop being such a child!”
“But mum, it was so sca-”
“No, you’re just imagining this. It’s all in your head.

You have to stop believing those ghost stories that are always on TV and start living life like a grown-up!”

No comments:

Post a Comment