Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Watch Your Head!

I was walking back from school when a couple of kids who were younger than me came up to me and said, “Hey you’re really short, why are you so short?” They just asked and then ran away laughing. All my life I have wondered why I’m the shortest in a crowd or group of people. Do people notice how short I really am or is it just some? Some even think I am lucky because of the fact that I can “fit into small spaces”; I don’t even care about that! That night I was getting ready to sleep and with my feet dangling from my bed looked at my floor lamp and whispered, “I wish I could be as tall as can be”. I turned it off and jumped back on my bed and fell asleep.

I was woken up by my alarm clock; I went to turn it off. I was lying down in bed when I felt a cold breeze on my feet, so I pulled the blanket down a tiny bit. This is strange, I thought to myself. I remember this being a brand new big blanket that I only just bought. I stepped out of bed and to my shock my feet were no longer mid-air and were easily reaching the ground with no trouble. As I got ready for school, I went into my wardrobe to pick out some clothes; it was at this moment that I realized that my wish was granted and that now I was tall. I was so happy to go to school and see what my friends’ reactions would all be like. I tried getting changed but everything I put on was too small, I went into my parents’ room and took some of my Dad’s clothes. I couldn’t let my Mum see me because she would be so shocked and would then start panicking. How could anyone get this tall through one night? I was tiptoeing through the hallway when Bam! I clobbered my head against the ceiling. My Mum quickly came out of the room half asleep and asked me what was the matter. I quickly replied saying nothing and that I was just leaving for school. “Ok, next time don’t make too much noise,” she warned me. I continued to walk down the hallway when she turned around and asked me; “Why are you so tall?”, I was totally speechless and just stuttered before being dragged to the car.

My sister started annoying me ever since she woke up. My Mum was taking me to the doctor my sister was constantly making fun of me and asked what I ate that make me so tall. “Caroline leave your brother alone” my mother sternly said, “ugh, fine” replied my sister as though her smart-mouthed comments weren’t anything to be making a fuss about. When Caroline finally got dropped off we went to the doctor. I had never seen these doctors in my life; there was something strange about this. I stepped into the waiting room and there were people the same age as me of all shapes and sizes, literally. Mum was talking to the receptionist whilst I got myself occupied with some car magazines, thinking about which car I could drive now that I’m in the height recommendation. The doctor stepping in and calling my name ended my dreams of being behind a steering wheel. Dr. Tancredi’s office was so spooky. There were different compartments with saws and machetes as well as some gigantic needles and my mum explained to the doctor what had happened. “You should tell him what has really happened”, instructed the doctor to my mum. They both looked at me and said, “Jack this is something completely normal, see, when a boy reaches a certain age his body acts differently. Sometimes you get tall sometimes you shrink. You can become slightly squared or triangular like the other kids outside which is why you are here, Dr. Tancredi will cure you”. At this point in time I didn’t know who to believe. I couldn’t believe that this had been kept a secret from children, even though it happened to everyone. How do they keep this a secret? I kept asking myself. The doctor brought out a suitcase and opened it; there before my eyes was a shrink ray. She was going to shrink me! The Dr. reaches into one of the container compartments and grabs out a large needle and puts some anesthesia into it. At this very moment I am feeling this alien liquid entering my body and slowly putting me to sleep, I’m still absolutely shocked and slowly begin to start blinking less until all I see is the doctors’ face which soon begins to distort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment