Tuesday, February 20, 2018

mACarONs

Editor_J.Kim, Posted By: “3월 20일 마카롱데이 (Macaron Day).” Www.cbmpress.com, 8 Nov. 2017, cbmpress.com/toronto/3%EC%9B%94-20%EC%9D%BC-%EB%A7%88%EC%B9%B4%EB%A1%B1%EB%8D%B0%EC%9D%B4-macaron-day/.










“Hey, did you hear about the new macaron shop across the street?”
“Are you talking about MARS?”
Oohh yess. Everybody’s talking about it in school.”
“They said the guy working there is hot.”
“Not you, Kev. The owner”
“...”
“Yeahhh. The owner is so young. He’s only like 28”
“You’re 18”
“Speaking of you working there, can you give us a discount?”
“If you say no, I’m not gonna share the study guide with you”
“Heyyy that’s so unfair.”
“Then give us some discount”
“I can't, but i’ll reserve a table”
“Okok. Everybody meet in front of MARS on Saturday at 3”
“You don’t have work that day, right?”
“Nope”
“Oh and BTW are you ok Emy? You looked like you had a fever today”
I’m fine. I think. Recently, I’m getting these chills easily and I feel so weak
“That’s why I told you to work out often”
This is why I don’t want to talk to you guys when I feel sick
“I’ll be fineee. Just don’t forget your promise Kev”
“Ofc better than failing the test”




x

The four of us - me, Emy, Kevin, and Victoria - have been best friends for 10 years in this small crappy village, where you couldn’t find anything special until recently. A new macaron shop came in this week. It’s being talked about by everyone because the macaron has cute and themed designs that vary with every season and event relevant during the month. Mostly the girls and women like it the most, as the owner of the shop is young and handsome. He’s not really my type, but who cares. He’s better than Kevin. Although, one by one, the children in the village are getting sick. And the symptoms started showing on Emy, too.

The small store has orangish-brownish brick walls with a large LED light saying MARS on the outside. The interior is designed like a bookstore including shelves with macarons on the sides, organized by color, size, and shape. In the middle, there is a table for the Summer Season Edition, and the counter faces the entrance from the back corner.

On the day of our MARS tour, for some reason, Emy didn’t show up on time. Kevin saved a table for us like he promised, and Victoria ordered the Summer Season Edition macarons. While we waited for Emy, we ate the macarons and talked about Kevin’s part-time job. The Summer Season Edition had 12 macarons; 4 macarons of 3 different flavors, “fluffy clouds”, “sunny pepper”, and “cool blue.” We got off topic and ended up talking about the hot owner. Victoria said even the way he spray-cleaned the AC was beautiful. Time passed by quickly and the clock struck 4, yet, Emy was still not here.

“Emyyyyy”
“Don’t tell me you forgot about our MARS tour”
“You just missed the best macarons ever.”
“BTW those were the last Summer Season Edition macarons coming out this year.”
“Yo those were so good”
“Emy you all right?”
~~~
“I’m so sorry guys. I don’t know why, but I think I got a cold”
“Like a really bad one”
“I can’t stop coughing and it’s hard to breathe”
“Whoa why?”
“Weren’t you fine 2 days ago?”
“Oh nooo. Did you go to the hospital?”
“I’m going tomorrow, but if I don’t get better, I’ll probably skip school this week”
“I hope you get well soon”
“Feel better!”
“We’ll come visit you on Monday.”
“Thanks guys, but don’t come. My mom said it might be contagious. My neighbor also felt the same as me, and she’s in the hospital now.”
“Don’t worry. We’re sure everything’s going to be fine”
“Aww thankssss <3”

While worrying about Emy, the three of us headed towards my house to watch the new movie Starfish. Kevin took the very last Summer Season Edition for Emy, and Victoria and I bought some candles and a get well card. I told my mom about what happened to Emy and turned on the T.V. Kevin was busy packaging the macarons, Victoria was writing the card, and I went to the bathroom. We were all so focused on what we were doing, not a single person heard the breaking news.

AC Disinfectants Causing Sepsis In Children

“Hey Kev, can you turn on the AC? It’s getting hot.”

6 comments:

  1. I love how you used differnet fonts to show people talking and iliked how they talked realistically

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the plot twist at the end, and like Noa I really enjoyed the use of different fonts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the text message format and the ending is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story!!! very different from the other ones. Title is very funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the hidden message in the title. It reminds me of the predictions of the three witches from Macbeth.

    ReplyDelete