Thursday, February 15, 2018

Replay



Replay

The room was pitch black with the only sign of light coming from my blinking video game. The boredom had hit me like a ton of bricks; I felt useless. I looked to the right then to my left; there was nothing. Suddenly the screen had flickered. Intrigued I walked towards it. The colours were bright almost blinding yet I felt drawn in.I was staring blankly at the screen when suddenly I was sucked in.

It was hot, humid and dark. Fear rushed through my veins as the forest started closing in. Where was I? I kept running with no end in sight. Pain devoured me with every breath, every step and every scream for help. My body was running but I was not. The world began to spin and I saw bright flashes, flashes of Crash Bandicoot. He was running and shouting but I didn’t understand why. I ran as fast as my lungs could take me trying to keep up; then he was gone.

I was back where I started in the part of the forest that I most dreaded. I screamed but there was no voice, no one could hear me. I stopped, my head was heavy and my lungs burned like a thousand bee stings. I waited, hoping it would fade until I fell. The light had returned, but instead of Crash Bandicoot, I saw Mario. He was crying, he looked stressed. Was I in video game hell? I couldn't take it. Where was I and when would I get out? I began to spin the world moving with me. Then I began to cave into the pain; I was gone.

I had returned yet again and was still running, I was determined to break this spell. I continued to feel my lungs collapse with every move. I would not be stuck here again. I ran and caught up with a girl; I passed her then collapsed. Was it over? My energy was running low. I had to think quickly or possibly die. I looked around; there was nothing other than the giant green groves that surrounded me. I felt so vulnerable as if I were Katniss from the hunger games waiting to be hunted. It was getting dark and I had to move. I came across a bright light, almost as bright as the sun. I felt drawn to it as though it would deliver me to the end. I approached the light and raised my hands to embrace it, but then I aroused. 

Once again I was in the forest but there was no trail, no light, no life to guide me. I was walking aimlessly when panic inhabited every inch of my body while numerous thoughts consumed my brain. I had no food, no shelter, no safety I was trapped. I missed the things that I had taken for granted: the love of my family, the support of my friends, and the encouragement of my teammates. I was trapped in this puzzle that could not be solved.

I was nearing the end, there was no escape. I was hopeless. I had no will to move on, no urge to see another day. I accepted my defeat and gathered all of my thoughts. This was the end? This is how I would go? No matter how much I wanted to try there was no way. I was defeated; no use in trying to fight the inevitable. I laid down on the damp ground and waited.I waited for my release for another chance at success. I closed my eyes; everything turned black. Everything surrounding me was black, but as I looked up I saw the words: “Game Over! Keep trying, life is a game that is to be solved by a champion. Could it be you?”

“Why Off-Seasons Are Necessary For Runner Recovery.” Why Off-Seasons Are Necessary For Runner Recovery, Women's Writing, 15 Feb. 2018, womensrunning.competitor.com/2018/02/training-tips/off-seasons-runner-recovery_85217.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story was so dramatic and full of imagery. I like how you wrote about a person getting sucked into a video game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your story is so descriptive- I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your story is so suspenseful it is killing me! It is very well written and it keeps you on your toes. I think you should make a movie out of this.

    ReplyDelete