Friday, February 16, 2018

Waiting

Byrne, Michael. “What Exactly Is Psychosis Anyway?” Motherboard, 19 June 2017, motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/7xpq39/what-exactly-is-psychosis-anyway.

One day when school ended, Daniella came to the school gate and there was no one to pick her up. Daniella’s mom wasn’t there and her dad was on a business trip. Her mom had a tendency of being late for everything except picking her daughter up from school. Daniella was really disappointed. Unfortunately, her friend Kate couldn’t stay with Daniella at school to wait for her mom because Kate’s mom was already at school. Daniella was really sad to stay at school alone. Daniella called her mom, but no one responded, so she decided to wait at school.

“Where is my mom? Is she okay?” thought Daniella; these thoughts didn’t leave her. Kids nowadays can’t live without their smartphones and other gadgets, and Daniella’s phone died within an hour. At this point she was really bored and just sat at the gate looking at the strangers passing by, waiting for her mom to come. 

“These people are going home, they are going to see their moms. Why is my mom not here? Did something happen to her?” Daniella was disappointed. The more she looked at people the sadder she got. As time went by, all the students, teachers, and the principal had left the school. Daniella was being watched by the security guards. 

“Fuuuuun,” she thought for a second, but suddenly the bright lights of a car caught her attention. The car looked like her mom’s. “Is that my mom? Finally, I’m getting home today,” she thought relieved. However, it wasn’t her mom. The idea that she would be staying at school for a little longer was killing her. 

“Why don’t I just walk home instead of waiting for a wonder? Or why don’t I just ask someone to call my mom? I hope nothing happened to her.” Daniella started to blame herself for doing nothing, “I’m going to solve this problem by myself, I’m just going to walk home.” As she started walking towards the exit, she saw her mom’s friend, Ella, coming into the school.

“Hey Daniella, I’m here to take you home, sorry that you had to wait for so long. Don’t worry, everything is okay; your mom just couldn’t make it here,” Ella said politely. She also told Daniella that she’s currently using her mom’s car.

“It’s okay, I’m happy that you came,” answered Daniella. Ella brought her home. They drove in dead silence: neither of them said anything in the car as they felt a little awkward around each other. Finally, they got to Daniella’s house; all the lights were shut off. The second Daniella stepped into the house the lights turned on and confetti were thrown everywhere.

“Surprise!” everyone exclaimed coming out of their hiding spots, including her mom. Kate was also there. Daniella was really shocked and speechless.

“Why? I waited for you at school for so long and none of you even said a word about it!” said Daniella still unable to shake her feeling of abandonment.

“It’s a surprise party for you, dear, don’t be mad at us,” said her mom. Daniella wasn’t offended after awhile and just began to enjoy this glorious evening in the company of her friends and relatives.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting story, I liked how you incorporated the thoughts of a child feeling abandoned into the narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice how you showed everyones feelings and I liked how it was a happy story

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really surprised by the happy ending and I wasn't expecting it at all. I found it interesting how the story started with some negative 'vibes' but later turned out to be fine. I honestly expected Ella to be a serial killer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that the story has a happy ending, and I like how the story follows the thoughts and feeling of Daniella.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked the ending and also how you showed the feelings

    ReplyDelete