Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Street Sweepers


It was the summer of 2025 when I graduated from Harvard University. I could not have been more proud of myself. My family had came to the graduation ceremony and everyone congratulated me as I finished one of the largest steps in my life. The only thing I heard that day was “Congrats James!” and I couldn’t complain. I had studied hard for 4 years to get my degree. After a few days of parties and celebrations I decided to get a job so I could leave my parents’ house. When submitting a resume I felt a huge surge of power as I wrote down the university from where I graduated. Coming from the best university, I was guaranteed not to get a bad job like a lawyer or doctor. I couldn’t sleep that night. I wanted to see how many jobs I was offered. I needed the sleep though, in case I was scheduled for an interview on the same day. Big companies have busy schedules.
The next morning I couldn’t believe my luck. The United States Department of Sanitation had offered me a job. They said they wanted a meeting the next day. I told my friends and family about the good news. My cousin Pablo told me they have high wages there. The interview would make or break my chances and they told me the spot was in high demand. The next day I went to their offices in downtown Boston. I answered the questions they asked me very well. I knew I had nailed it. They called later to tell me I had gotten the job. I was going to be a professional street cleaner! This was one of the most respected jobs in the country.
The first day of work was great. People had left around a lot of trash. That’s just how it was. Boston was very dirty, especially downtown where I worked. There were high towers and people walking all over the streets. There was a lot of smog from cars and the air quality was poor. I didn’t mind. I hadn’t imagined that the job would be so enjoyable. I had Harvard to thank for my skills. Picking up every last piece of garbage and sweeping dust was a long days work. When I moved into cleaning more urban areas I drove a sweeper machine. It was much more difficult than my car. I learned how to make sharp turns and different ways to maneuver through the streets. After a day of work in town the streets of downtown Boston looked a little better. Some coworkers and I would meet up at night for dinner.
“Have you seen how I work!” screamed Shawn, a piece of lettuce went flying. Shawn was a type of guy who loved being around other people just so he could brag. Most people couldn’t stand him but we let him in because of his sense of humor. “Mad dogs can’t cover as much ground as I do!” Then Roger tried to calm him down.
“C’mon man, we all work a lot. It’s a team effort when we clean these grounds.” He was normally quiet, Roger, but he was the only one who could get Shawn to come to his senses.
“You’re right, and I’m getting another steak for us. Rookie has just had his first taste of the high life as street sweeper,” said Shawn quietly. That’s what they called me for some time, Rookie. I would always be the new kid for a while. After that we all went home.
“How was work James?” she asked. My mother always wanted to get into my business, but it didn’t bother me. She was very kind and made sure not to go too far with her questions.
“Well, it was tough but I think I am going to go far in this. They’re talking about new cleaning technology. Stuff I was working on in college. The poor engineers will be building those while we do the real work.”
“Sounds fun. Are there any guys you’ve made friends with so far?”
“Yeah, we have a great group and I enjoy spending time with them.”
“I hope you continue to enjoy your job.”
“Thanks mom!” I said before passing out that night after work.
    Within a few weeks I bought a condominium in the heart of the city. Jessie Mersaf was a legendary waitress at a local restaurant and she lived right down the hall. I knew that I was in a good neighborhood living in the same building as her. One day something big happened that I couldn’t let slide.
    After work one day I saw Shawn making fun of a poor lawyer. I was very upset. People of our high status should not have prejudices against poorer people.
    “Are you looking for some money sir?” he said mockingly. “We don’t serve beggars here,” said Shawn.
I couldn’t stand the fact that he was so intent on bothering this older man. I was raised on the concept that everyone should be treated equally. I went over to talk to Shawn.
    “Shawn leave him alone,” I commanded. Where was Roger when I needed him? He would have been able to calm him down in seconds. “It’s not like he’s bothering you or anything,” I pointed out. “Same skin and nation as you, what do you want from him?” Shawn left the man and came to me like a charging bull.
    “What’cha say rook?” I knew I had made a mistake. I didn’t know why I was scared. Shawn was obviously talking in a joking manner. I was saved when Roger came over to calm him down. That day we went straight home. I called my mom to tell her about the day. She told me that it was wrong of him. After that day I couldn’t take it anymore.
Soon after, I joined the “Anti-Discrimination Association of America”. We met regularly and talked about our experiences and why people get angry and discriminate against other people. From that day on I was devoted to stopping discrimination around the country. I was glad to be part of a great organization.

"Polk County Judge Rules That Plaintiffs Fail to Show Inseparability in Class-Action Against the State of Iowa." Chicago Overtime Lawyer Blog. N.p., 23 Apr. 2012. Web. 14 Oct. 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment