Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Message


I was about 14 when I received my message. I was ecstatic: this was what I was meant to do with my life. My whole future mapped out in front of me in one small letter.

Everyone in our grade knew what they would achieve in their lives, usually a college degree or a big family. Everyone knew, except for Flynn. I went to an upper-class private school; everyone came from a rich family, everyone except for Flynn.

There was something strange about that child: he always looked a bit troubled.

He couldn’t care less about his grades and sometimes he wouldn’t even bother coming to class. 

One day, I saw him walking home from school and I immediately thought his house really fitted his personality. It was gray and run-down. I heard he only lives with his mother who happens to have a severe drug addiction.

Maybe that’s why he’s so messed up.

Maybe that’s why he didn’t get his message yet.

I heard from my parents that God punishes you for leading a meaningless lifestyle, not taking advantage of the life he gave you, and I guess that’s exactly what happened to him, because the day he received his message I could see the last bit of colour fade from behind his eyes, it almost looked a bit like fear or regret, which was strange because a person like Flynn would never show emotion.

Looking back on it, I could’ve been a bit nicer and kept the other students from calling him a “loser” but at the time it seemed like a good idea to just watch. You don’t get a person with a message that said you would end up like your drug-addict mother everyday.

We all had very bright futures ahead of us, because we respected our life and were actually trying to make something out of it.

As the days passed, I noticed multiple bruises marking Flynn’s arms and face. Those were the signs that Flynn’s mother had found out about his disappointing message: the signs that brought me to talk to him.

“Violet, what do you want?,” was the first thing I heard out of his mouth, ever. I didn’t even know he could speak. He never speaks.

I decided to ignore his rude remark and continued to approach him.

“I want to help you,” I said, “I can help you get over this”.

“I really don’t need your help, leave me alone,” he almost shouted and walked away.

My days were spent with trying to connect to Flynn and I had the feeling he’s slowly warming up to me.

It caught me by surprise when I heard a scratchy voice behind me: “Uhmm… theoretically speaking, how would you be able to help me?”

I couldn’t fight the smile that crept onto my face, “I think you could change your life to the better by maybe taking responsibilities or start a hobby. I have heard of people that changed their message and I think you could do the same.”

I could see disbelief on his face but he was still willing to try.

“Come to my house after school and we’ll figure something out together,” I offered.

He agreed to my surprise.

The minute he walked into my house, I heard him gasp in astonishment. I suppose it’s all the flatscreens and the aquarium wall that caused this childish behaviour in him.

As soon as we entered my room, he reached for my guitar and started playing it. I couldn’t hide my surprised face expression,
“How did you learn how to play like that?”.
“When my dad was still around, he taught me a couple of songs.”, he explained.

“Hey, I know what you should do: There’s this children’s hospital around the corner where I volunteer from time to time. You should go play your songs there. The kids would really appreciate it.”

“Maybe that idea isn’t so bad, I suppose I could try,” he said.

On the next Monday, I noticed an unusual sight.

Flynn came running down the hallway with a smile on his face and a small piece of paper in the other.

He actually made it.

He changed his future by just one act of kindness, and I’m happy I am the one that changed his life for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment