Friday, February 8, 2019

Alone...



We were being chased. I could hear the bullets whizzing near my ears. We ran as fast as we could until they lost us. I was lucky that I didn't get shot. Sam, on the other hand, got shot in the knee. She was unable to walk and was losing blood. I carried her to an abandoned house a few meters away. She was only fourteen and easy to carry. I was terrified. It felt like it was happening all over again. I tried to calm myself down. As I started to treat Sam’s wound I heard footsteps.

As I reached over to grab my revolver, I heard a voice,
“ Don’t move a muscle!  This gun packs a .670 inch shotgun shell that'll  blow you to kingdom come.” It was a woman, one of the survivors it seemed. She looked at Sam and dropped her gun.
“She bleeding you have to close the wound fast, or she won’t make it. Let me help you; I’m a doctor,”  she cried. A few hours passed by and Sam was all patched up and was sleeping. I talked to the woman who helped me save Sam. She had a family here once, but after the Epidemic, they all were rounded up and killed. She was the only one who managed to survive.

“It’s pretty late you know. Try getting some sleep”  said the woman as she left the room.
It was morning now. The sun was glowing beautifully. It was time for us to leave. As Sam and I were leaving, the woman asked me how Sam got shot.

“ We were being chased by those  Special Ops guys. They think we’re infected. They shoot first and scan for infection later.” I lied. “We should get going now.” I grabbed Sam’s hand and walked away from the house hoping that she wouldn't stop me for further questioning. “ There was no way I was going to tell that lady that Sam had the cure for the Epidemic and was to be given to the Agency to extract the cure and those jerks were there to kill us,” I thought.

“Jack, I’ve been thinking of asking this from you for a really long time, I know you had a daughter but, what happened to her?”  I stopped. It felt as if my heart stopped beating. Tears dripped from my eyes. I wasn’t able to stop crying.

“I had a daughter named  Elise. When this Epidemic started, We thought of moving out of the city but the situation was way out of hand. They were terminating everyone who seemed contagious. My daughter was hurt and unable to walk. As we were fleeing, we were cornered by a soldier. He had the command to shoot anyone deemed contagious. I told him that we weren't infected. He open fired. Elise got shot and that soldier got hit by a car. Elise was unable to make it. It was the first time Sam saw me cry.

After a few days, Sam and I finally reached the agency, the place where they were about to extract the cure. I talked to the surgeons. They said that they’ll keep Sam safe from the Special Ops guys and said that if they perform the surgery Sam will die. I was shocked with anguish. I told them that I need to talk to the girl one last time. I sat next to her.
“ Sam, we don’t have to do this. We could go somewhere else. Away from all of this. Don’t do this to me.”  I said, crying. She grabbed my hand and said, “Jack, there are thousands of girls like me, that need help. I have to do this.”  She gave me a hug and I was forced to leave. After a few weeks, people were getting cured. Few months passed and everything went back to normal. But I was left all alone...

No comments:

Post a Comment