Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Blue Bracelets


Blue Bracelets

The time is 6:00 pm, and I’m getting ready to leave the office with my identical twin sister Abigail. We pack up all of our belongings, and I slip into the driver’s seat of our navy car.

“Abi, that was a crazy day, wasn’t it?” I sigh as I throw my belongings onto the back seat.

“Yeah, I haven’t seen you all day! How many videos for the YouTube channel did you film today?” she responds.

“Six. I think that’s a new record!”

“Wow, I only got four. Nice job, Gab!”

As twins, Abigail and I constantly compare and support each other. Since the day we were born, we have been attached at the hip. We even wear matching blue bracelets from after we got out of detention, to represent our freedom, and that we are always together, including work which is why we commute to and from the office together. Today has been an exceptionally long day, and I’m ready to go home. Just as I’m about to pull out of the parking lot, blue and red flashing lights appear next to me, and a police officer is at my car window signaling for me to roll the window down.

“Is there something wrong sir?” I ask nervously.

“Excuse me ma’am, I’m Officer Webber from the Hill Valley Police Department. Are either of you Gabriella or Abigail Davis?” he asks sternly.

“Yes, I’m Gabriella, and this is my sister Abigail,” I stutter in utter confusion.

“Okay, we’re going to need both of you to come down to the police station with us,” the officer answers, “We will tell you more regarding why when you get there.”.

“Why? We didn’t do anything wrong,” Abigail blurts out.

After a few minutes of jumbled confusion with the officer, we reluctantly agree to leave the car and go down to the station. My heart is racing the entire time, and I’m starting to irrationally feel guilty. We finally arrive, and I’m put into an investigation room with Abigail. A new officer walks into the room and introduces himself: “Hello, I’m Officer Mitchell,” he says as he sits down behind the desk and sets a blue clipboard down on the desk separating us, “I’m here to ask you a few questions about your knowledge in the murder of Jovie Adams, who to my understanding you had tight connections with. So, why don’t you tell me what you know about her. Are there any people or reasons why you think someone would want to hurt her?”

Jovie Adams. I’m trying to recall where I know this name from. Oh right, Jovie was Abigail’s childhood best friend. Why isn’t Abigail responding to the officer?

“Sir, neither of us have spoken to Jovie in years,” Abigail responds.

So she does remember.

“Listen,” the officer objects, “I’m going to cut to the chase. We have multiple eyewitnesses placing at least one of you at the scene of the crime with Jovie Adams shortly before she was found dead, and your DNA was found dispersed in the area, concentrating on Jovie’s body. I’ll rephrase my question: What were you doing with Jovie Adams on the night of January 16th?”

“Officer Mitchell, we were both working at the office together that day until late that night. There’s no way we were involved in this tragedy of an old friend,” Abigail says.

What is Abigail saying? The day Jovie was murdered resembled today- a day that was so busy we hardly even saw each other, much less worked together.

The rest of the investigation primarily consists of Abigail and Officer Mitchell arguing their points back and forth, while I occasionally interject. After a number of hours, Officer Mitchell decides that the investigation should conclude for the night. Abigail and I have been officially charged, so we have to be transferred to the county jail until the next day when they will question us further.

We reach the county jail, and we are ushered into our individual cells for the night. I am still in complete state of shock and confusion. I eventually drift off to sleep, deep in my thoughts and worries. The whole night I tug at my orange jumpsuit.

I wake up to unfamiliar surroundings. I forgot that Abigail and I are still being held here. As I’m sitting on the hard mattress on my bed in my jail cell, I think about how Abigail made statements that don’t align with my recollection of events from the day of Jovie’s murder. It’s becoming increasingly evident to me that Abigail is guilty of something. I look down at the blue bracelet on my wrist when a police officer approaches my cell and says, “Hello Miss Gabriella Davis, you have five minutes to get ready before I take you and Abigail Davis back for additional questioning at the station.”

I get back to the station and see Abigail standing there with another officer. Officer Mitchell returns, and he’s been interrogating at us for so long now.

I know I’m innocent, and there’s only one other person that could be guilty.

I only have one option. I have to do the right thing.

“Officer Mitchell, I understand you have substantial evidence against one of us, or both of us for that matter,” I interrupt, “but I would like to take full responsibility and admit to the charge of the second-degree murder of Jovie Adams.”

That was it. I am instantly put into handcuffs and taken back to the prison. I look back at Abigail. She seems calm and looks at me lovingly as I’m being taken away. Now I have to wait for a trial. I don’t know whether the jury will find me guilty or not, but I’m sitting here in my jail cell knowing that I saved someone. I’ll have to ask her all about why when she comes to visit me, but at least I know we’ll always have the blue bracelets representing freedom to connect to each other.




Perry, Ryan. “Twins Lisa and Louise Burns, Who Sent Shivers down Viewers’ Spines as the Grady Daughters, Have Spoken about Their Experience Working on the Horror Classic The Shining.” Daily Mail, 2015, www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3298376/Grady-daughters-horror-classic-Shining-reveal-like-working-movie.html.







1 comment: