Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Bereave


I watched as people went by dropping lily by lily at my grandma's grave. All of her loved ones gathered to celebrate her life and mourn her passing as she left us a great legacy to continue for her. The family decided to bury Grandma next to Grandpa behind the house knowing that is what she would have wanted. All I could see beyond the puddles of tears in my eyes were the sad expressions painted across all the relatives’ faces. The atmosphere itself didn't help at all. Thunderstruck from the heavens above, and water started pouring down as the funeral progressed.

During that time we stood there, her casket was open surrounded by her favourite flowers which were lilies. My mom and I decided to put lilies around her casket as a peace offering. Everything about that day, in general, was uncomfortable. The scenery, the chairs, the number of people that attended the funeral. It just felt so odd. When, the rain started pouring the casket was closed, and it was time to say goodbye to Grandma. We walked side by side to her grave. The coffin lowered into the ground just to the same degree Grandpa’s was, and all the memories and fun times I had with Grandma were slowly drifting away into a dead dark area at the bottom of my thoughts. Every word, every smile, every aspect of her was to be remembered forever, but the connection we had with each other was already drifting apart.

The priest walked forward in our direction and suggested that we do our partings and say goodbye. One by one, every member of the family made their way to the casket. It was finally my turn, and I didn't know how to feel at that moment. The rage of anger and loss started to show, and my body temperature started to increase. I bent down and kissed her casket and said, “I’m always with you, No matter what, Don’t forget that.” I stood up and walked back to my family as they began to dig dust from the ground and cover her up.

The funeral ended, and people came and gave their condolences. I needed some space, so I decided to take a walk. I drove to the park quietly without letting anyone know because I didn't want to to be found. I stayed in the car and couldn't come out. I sat in silence and thought about Grandma, about how she's gone and how things are going to change. Life isn’t worth living without her and Grandpa by my side. We planned on going on adventures once I was done with high school, but she got sick during my junior year.

My grandma was diagnosed with stage four cancer in December. At first, we thought she could get through it, but after months and months in the hospital, we knew she wasn't going to make it. We decided to make her remaining days on earth the best she’d ever have. I even bought her her favourite flowers, lilies. When she finally was about to take her last breath, she called me over and said, “ I'm always with you, no matter what, don’t forget that.” I watched as she struggled to take her the last breath, and she slowly closed her eyes.
Related image

Remembering the Meaning of Sacrifice. 30 May 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment