Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Light In The Dark


Light In The Dark

“Sean, wait up please. I can't run that fast,” I said as I was running down a dark hall. “Please Sean, it's dark. I can't see anything” I cried out but no one answered. I swear I saw him though, I really did, I thought to myself. How could it be? Sean had passed away a year ago… I was alone and afraid in a big cold house with nothing but a candle lightly flaming in the distance.

I crouched down on the floor holding my legs almost as though I was a ball and closed my eyes as tight as I could counting to ten. “When I open my eyes I will be back in my house,” I said to myself. But instead, when I did open them, Sean was standing at the end of the hall. I felt this rushing sensation in my head to follow him like before. It was as though he wanted me to follow him, but it seemed scary to go through that hall all alone. I gathered all the strength I had and wiped away my tears. I thought that if I am seeing Sean here alive and in person then it was probably best that I follow him. He let out his hand for me to hold, and the second we touched it was like an electric shock. It was like he wasn't meant to let me touch him but he did anyway. It was like he felt my fear and wanted to guide me. He led me through the house not saying a single word. I kept trying to ask what he was doing here, and how I had gotten to where I was, but not a single word came out his mouth. We were walking closer and closer to this big red door. On top of the door, there was a big hourglass, and it seemed like time was running out, but what was time running out for? I couldn't understand. We were almost at the door, it was so close, I felt this rush of hope when all of a sudden the door was no longer in sight; it was covered by a creature one would hope never to see in his worst nightmares. I screamed out for help turning to Sean, but Sean transformed into something, his mouth was sewn shut and his eyes were black as death. I ran, or at least I tried to run, but I didn't know where I was running. I was lost. I was completely lost and my one hope out of there made me feel even more hopeless then before.

By the time I regained consciousness and returned to this foreign reality, I found myself wandering around the house not scared at all, instead feeling calm and at peace. I looked around and saw Sean sitting in a big armchair next to a fire. I walked up to him and he turned around. His big black eyes had gone away and his mouth was back to normal. He looked at me disappointed, “What happened?” I asked.

“I'm disappointed in you, I tried to help but now there is nothing I can do…” he said slowly walking away.

“Wait Sean. Please don't leave me here. Please! What if that thing comes back?” I cried out.

“It can't hurt you anymore. It's too late… that was your last chance out of here,” he said slowly walking away.

“What do you mean it’s too late? What do you mean by it was my last chance out of here? Where is here?” I asked, but it was too late. Sean had already left and I was alone in the big cold house. I didn't feel alone though. I felt at peace now. Weirdly I felt happy. This place that had made me so scared, feel so alone and lost, all of a sudden felt comforting. I wandered around the house and stumbled upon a mirror. It was a very old stone mirror and it looked very ancient. I stood in front of it and lit the candles next to me. Something felt odd. I wasn't sure what it was, but I knew nothing good was about to happen. The lights started flickering and the room started shaking, and all of a sudden a big gush of cold wind blew out the candles. I saw myself in the mirror at home in my bathtub dead, I rubbed my eyes trying to get a clear view hoping what I was seeing was wrong but it was me. I pinched myself hoping to wake up from a horrible dream but it was a reality. I tried to call out my name but all of a sudden my mouth wouldn’t open. I turned around and saw Sean standing at the door. “I'm sorry it ended this way, I tried to help,” he said “ I know my death was very hard on you but I never wanted you to come join me…” he told me.

“ I don't understand. Am I dead?” I asked.

“Let me show you something,” he answered as he stuck out his hand, but this time when we touched I felt nothing. We were in my room and I could see myself getting into the bath, one foot then the other. My hands were trembling and I was crying. I sat down as the water was filling and filling. I had pills in one hand and a note in another. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. The whole thing just happened before my eyes. Sean looked at me and said, “I guess you really couldn't live without me.”








“SP Leader Commits Suicide after an Argument with Wife.” The Indian Express, The Indian Express, 16 Nov. 2018, indianexpress.com/article/india/samajwadi-party-leader-commits-suicide-after-an-argument-with-wife-5450016/.

No comments:

Post a Comment