Thursday, February 7, 2019

The Large Bone in the Sky

Nothing bad has ever happened to me in my life, I thought to myself, Could this be the first?

My brother entered the house and scurried down the stairs, and all I remember doing was following him. I stared out of the window, and I could see an unusually shaped plane in the distance.

“What is that?” I asked my brother. No response, as usual. The object moved fairly slowly in the sky.

I bet I could outrun it, I thought to myself. Could this be a large bone? An inordinately large bone that was thrown high up in the sky?

As we reached the bottom of the stairs, I encountered a room I had never actually visited before. The room was tiny and the ceiling was pretty low. It contained a small TV, bed, and little fridge with some snacks in it. There was also a bathroom, but that was all that was inside the tiny space. As my brother dragged me into the room, I found my mom (who is the best person in the world; she always feeds me). My sister was there too, lying on the bed. My brother closed the heavy, metal door and then locked it. I could sense fear on everyone's faces. The alarm was still going off.

My mom turned the TV on. A grey-haired, tall reporter with blue eyes and a slightly crooked nose was sitting on a desk talking.

“Breaking News! Rockets launched at Herzliya, Tel Aviv, Ashdod, Be’er Sheva, and Jerusalem. Luckily, no injuries nor deaths were recorded,” the reporter stated.

As he continued speaking, I laid down, baffled, What is this rocket? Why did it hit my city? Could the rocket be the large bone that I saw in the sky? Can I go fetch it later? These thoughts ran through my mind as the siren kept looping.

I turned around to see my family all staring at the TV. They were all focusing on the reporter. The reporter continued talking, but I wasn’t listening. I was thirsty.

I went to my favorite source of water, the toilet. The smell was great and the taste was magnificent. The only problem was that my family would never let me drink from it. I always saw them walking to the toilet, closing the door and then a big splash of water was heard. It wasn’t fair that they got to drink the toilet water and splash it and I didn’t. I’ve always felt different: I walk on four and they somehow only walk on two; I sleep outside and they sleep inside, they eat different food every day, I eat the same. But at this point, I’ve gotten used to it. As I walked to the toilet I looked back to make sure they didn’t see me. They were all focused on the TV, so I slowly and quietly stepped up to the toilet and started drinking. Yum! The water was delicious. I only got a few sips until I was dragged back into the small bedroom. With my mouth full of water, I realized the sirens were still looping. I had already gotten used to them.

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, I heard a big boom. It was like nothing I had heard before. It was loud, louder than the sirens.

“An intruder!” I barked.

I had no idea what it was. I was petrified. Yes, I bark at intruders and act tough and all but I’ve never been face to face with a real intruder. I kept barking, hoping that he would go away, whimpering that it would leave. I was so scared. I realized in order for him to leave I had to mark my territory here.

But where did this story start?

My day had started abnormally as I awoke to an unpleasant noise outside; it drove me crazy.

“Not the house alarm again… Even worse, there might be an intruder,” I wondered, “No, it’s way too loud to be an intruder.”

I started barking at the alarm. I had no idea where that mysterious sound was coming from. I examined my surroundings, but nothing was different. The tennis balls were scattered around the yard. The table was in its place, and the trees were still.

I was puzzled. “What is going on?” I continued barking at the sky.

I looked through the window into the kitchen but didn’t see anyone in there. Seconds felt like minutes, the wailing alarm kept playing over and over again in a loop. Suddenly, my brother arrived. He came outside to the backyard. The look on his face worried me. His brow was furrowed and his hands nervously fidgeted. I had never seen him so scared. I asked him what was going on. He didn’t respond. He never responds except when I ask to go in the house or for food. I kept barking, hoping that the noise would stop when suddenly my brother grabbed me by my tight, itchy collar that I was forever trying to take off. He began to sprint, dragging me behind him. I was clueless.

***

I never pee in the house, but this time, I had to. For me. For my family. To keep the intruder away. And so I peed on the floor. As I peed, my sister complained,

“Ugh, oh my god, why does she always do this?” she said.

So I answered,

“You are the one who always makes mom angry. You always have to be mean to everyone around you.”

She didn’t respond, so I knew I won the argument. Right after the sirens finally stopped. We waited for a little bit until my mom opened the door. I was glad to be in the house, climbing up the stairs and laying down next to the sofa. My mom stayed back, cleaning after me. I love my family. Maybe we could go fetch the bone later. I thought as I rested my eyes and went back to sleep.





“German Shepherd Dog.” Why Dogs Must Be Followers, www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshepherd.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment