Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Play maker

Play Maker
WHAM!!! It felt like the my world just turned upside down. In fact it had. I was laying on my back after being laid out, and flipped upside down by the opposing teams defender. Somehow the hit, which knocked the wind out of my lungs, didn’t hurt anymore. Every other time I had been tackled as bad as that, it would have taken me a week for the pain, and bruises to go away. Now I feel like this common feeling of pain and hurt when playing American Football has just been lifted. My coach waves me to the sideline with a slightly worried look on his face.
“Willis, are you alright? That was a hard lick.” Asked my coach.
“Heck, yeah coach I feel better than ever. Send me back.” I responded.
“That’s what I like to hear! Remember make sure you are the one hitting, not being hit!”
“Yes, Coach!”
I run back onto the field. I’ve got a new kind of spring in my step. Something about that intense hit turned a switch in my brain. Just like that, from off mode to on mode. I went from taking hits, to feeling like I would be the one giving them. I get to the huddle.
“Landen you sure you alright?” Questioned our QuarterBack.
“I’m ready man. I got this feeling i’m going to be open for a pass alright just keep an eye on me.”
“Haha, okay bro whatever you say, don’t kill yourself alright that was a big hit.”
“Yeah, I know, I aint feelin’ any of it though man.”
“Got you. I’ll keep my eye out.”
After our coaches send some hand signals to tell our QuarterBack the play, we line up on the line of scrimmage. I line up out on the far right hand side since i’m a wideout. My buddy is just next to the inside of me. The defence started to line up as well. I scan the backfield for where the defenders are, looking for a line to follow around them. The much larger linebacker that destroyed me on the last play sent a stare that would have sent shivers down my spine if I wasn't feeling like I was on top of the world. I knew I had something with me that I didn't the play before. Maybe it was god finally gifting me with skill for football, or maybe I was just going crazy.
The Referee sets the ball down in the middle of the field in front of our center, the guy who hands the ball off to the Quarterback to start the play. The defensive-back that is guarding me has a nasty look on his face, just the same as the linebackers. Once again it doesn't affect me at all. I fixate my eyes on the ball, and open my ears listening for the call to hike from my Quarterback. My back leg starts to shake up and down a little, not because im scared or worried. Because I am ready to play, to catch the ball and beat the defense in front of me.
“Set….”
“BLUE FORTY TWO, BLUE FORTY TWO!”
Our QuarterBack saw a hole in the defence. He changed the play so that I send it right up the middle of the field, right past the linebacker. I’m ready, I am dialed in.
“Set. Hike!”
The center snaps the ball back to our Quarterback. The defense surges forward, and the offensive line settles back to form a pocket around our QB. I break the block of the defensive back in front of me with unreal ease. Sprinting to the middle of the field, I smoke past the linebacker, seamingly too slow for my almost on fire from speed feet. I look up toward the QB, signaling I am open for a pass.
Out of his hands the ball flies. The pass so perfect it could get him into the National Football League. The ball falls into my hands so softly it’s almost as if they were pillows. As I turn up field, I am greeted with the most welcome site of all for a receiver like me, an open field to the endzone. A smile streaks across my face as I run faster and faster, I just made the play of the game.
But as I run faster, and faster. The field grows longer, and longer. The end zone farther and farther out of reach. Narrower and narrower the field tightens. A deep pain gashes through my head. I fall backwards, laying facing the sky. Except the sky has bright LED lights that are moving rapidly. No. I am moving. The narrow and long field is now a narrow and long corridor. The doctor above me notions to his partner that I am awake.


No comments:

Post a Comment