Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Big Crimson Love


“You are the most beautiful woman, nay, creature I have ever laid my eyes on!” cried the
Sailor in delight. Never had he ever met someone so beautiful, so magical, as the woman
he was talking to.

“Well, aren’t you a sweet man?” said the woman in the water. Her tail was swooning back
and forth as the most heartwarming smile appeared on her face. They had been chatting on the
shore for what seemed like hours. It started when the Sailor heard the Mermaid sing. Oh, that
sweet voice! It could lure any man to her, just like it lured the Sailor. Then, he saw her, and
they just talked. They talked, and talked, and talked.

“I can’t say I am. But you, my darling, have stolen my heart, and you are gripping it ever
so tightly. I am frankly somewhat ashamed that I let myself get seduced so easily. Oh, tell
me about your home, sweet princess. Tell me where you come from!”

The Mermaid giggled innocently at his compliments.


“Well, you are not wrong about me being a princess.” said the Mermaid.“My father is the
king of all of us Merfolk. We live not far from here, just a couple of miles away.
There really isn’t much to do there. Our pastime includes swimming, occasionally
collecting human artifacts, and some other activities. But we mostly just swim.
Oh, and we sometimes come to assist humans. I know our laws say that we
have to remain a secret, but many of us, such as myself, can see that you
humans have suffered a lot. It’s just so hard, you know? I have always
wanted more in life than just to swim but it seems like I can’t have that life.”
the Mermaid sighed. Goodness, even her sighs were beautiful to him.

“Well, to make you feel better, my life isn’t perfect either,” remarked the Sailor.

“When I was seven years of age, a dreadful fire claimed my house and the lives
of my parents. I was left orphaned an alone. That is when I learned how to survive.
I lived eight years as a street urchin: hunting wild animals, stealing from innocent
people, and many other horrible acts that I will never forgive myself for. One day,
someone found me attempting to steal his harpoon. He could have handed me over,
but he didn’t. He took me under his wing, and trained me to become a worthy sailor.
However, life is very difficult for me. It seems like there is always something new
to deliver, or somewhere else where there are pirates trying to loot and plunder.
But, I have recently been thinking about settling down. Starting a family.” the Sailor
turned to the Mermaid as a cheery smile appeared on his face.

“My beloved maiden of the ocean… would you kindly, please, leave the ocean and

join me on land, where we can live together forever?  Oh, please, I beg of you,
say yes!” The Sailor held  her hand tightly. The Mermaid blushed.

“My, that is quite a request…” The Mermaid said as she attempted to
embrace him. “I… I think it might just work. Oh, but I’m not sure if my father
would allow it. I will have to ask him. If he agrees, he’ll transform me into a
human. I hope he does.” The Mermaid looked down as she muttered something.
“I… I love you.” she said. That is all the Sailor had wanted to hear from her all day.
A confession of love from the melodious lady.


“I love you too darling. I will come back tomorrow to pick you up. Then, I will
introduce you to my captain and explain everything.” the Sailor replied. The Mermaid
nodded in understanding.

“I guess I’ll see you tomorrow. Goodbye!” the Mermaid exclaimed as she jumped back
into the ocean.


The following day, the Sailor went back to the shore in which he first met the Mermaid.
He went to look for her, but he could not find her.


“Darling? Darling, where are you?” the Sailor cried, but there was no response.
Suddenly, he heard a voice. A beautiful, enchanted voice singing the most
beautiful song he has ever heard.


“My love, I have found you!” the Sailor exclaimed. But when he turned to the direction
of the voice, he saw the Mermaid with another man. As the other man came closer,
the Mermaid embraced him, and dragged him into the water. The sea turned from
light blue to crimson red. The Sailor approached the area, just as the Mermaid
came out of the water.

“My love! There you are! I was looking all over for you.” said the Mermaid.


“I saw everything.” the Sailor uttered with difficulty.


“You… you did…? Oh, my dear, it’s not what you think! That man tried to

kill me!” cried the Mermaid, her beautiful, ill-intended voice was desperate.
The Sailor knew better though.


“I can’t believe that the woman I loved with all my heart…” said the Sailor
as he was taking out a harpoon, “would be my greatest prey.” Tears streamed
down his face.


Benajah, Nsey. “Mermaid Generic.” ABC News, Australian Broadcasting Corporation, 10 June 2018, www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-11/mermaid-generic/9849844.

No comments:

Post a Comment