Thursday, December 5, 2013

Anticipation



Finally, we’re here. Our group enters the small Spanish bistro one by one. I feel a rush of warm air as I step through the doors. However, feelings of relief and happiness are soon overshadowed by the unpleasant smell surrounding the place. After waiting for a while for our table to be set up, we reluctantly proceeded to enter a separate room near the back of the place. Soon enough, we are all in our seats, waiting to order something; anything, to eat.


An older male waiter comes by the table and begins to deliberate with the Spanish speaking teachers. After a few brief moments, it is apparent that they have come to an understanding. We are asked to raise our hands for either one of the two options; a vegetarian, and a non-vegetarian one. After everyone has made a choice, we are given a small variety of drinks to choose from. I wait for my water to arrive.

There it is, the newly opened bottle of mineral water. Somewhat cold, I right away conclude from the precipitation on the outside of the tinted bottle. I pick it up, and as I’m about to pour some of the “AGUA” into the glass carelessly placed in front of me, I stop. Filthy, dirty specs all over! In disgust, I pick up the glass and raise it up to the light. To my horror, I discover more residue all over the sides. I quickly request a new glass, and as I wait, I take a drink right out of the bottle in my hand.


[Google Images. 2008. Photograph. Madrid.
]


5 comments:

  1. Nice story Sofi! I love your stray moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story, Sofi! I like the part where you wrote "AGUA". It adds the "Spanish" feeling to it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this really what happened in your Spanish trip? I enjoyed reading your story; it has concrete stray moments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really good story!

    ReplyDelete