Monday, December 9, 2013

Unforgettable call

My husband told me that he is bringing them home after school so I decided to make them an afternoon snack.  As I was making them a snack, I heard a knock on the door. Surprisingly, it was my mom. She lives two hours away from my town so seeing her was a lovely surprise. I opened the door, we said hello to each other and I felt that she wasn’t her self. I asked her if everything was ok. She took a deep breath and said, “We need to talk darling.” I obviously thought of the worst due to my female genes.  The first thing that came to mind was if she was sick or if something happened to dad. I tried my best to look calm and show that if she ever needed to talk, I would be there for her. It’s funny how as I grew up all the things that my mom used to do for me are now the other way around. She took me into my bedroom and told me to sit down.
“Darling, you know I will always be here for you no matter what, right?” “Mom, what is it?” There was a sudden pause as my mother looked me in the eyes and said, “you’re adopted.” I never knew that two simple words could physically affect my body. I felt as if I was under water in a pool and all I could hear was the calm and still sound that the water gives off. My mom put a piece of paper in my hand and said, “This is your real mother’s number.” I was speechless. No matter how hard I tried, no words came out, just tears. My mother told me she loves me and left the house. I sat on my bed with the paper in my hand and looked at it with tears running down my face not knowing what to think. The kids came home and I quickly washed my face and went back into the kitchen.

As I was making food my son saw me crying and asked, “Why are you crying mom?” I laughed, and told him it was just the onions and he said, “Ok cry baby.”  Several days passed and that simple piece of paper was all I thought about. It didn’t seem possible that there was someone out there that was my real mother and I didn’t know about it. So much irritation and puzzlement went through my head.

One day I built the guts to call. I walked into my room, opened the door, and took the piece of paper out from my drawer. I took the phone and paused to think what I would say when she answered. How she would react. All these questions made me more tense and nervous. I took a deep breath, dialed the number, and put the phone to my ear. “Ring ring,” I had chills running through my body from head to toe. I sat there and waited for her to answer. “Hello, you have reached the answering machine, please leave a message at the beep…. BEEP.” Every part of my body went into shock. I never took to account that she wouldn’t answer. Took a breath for the longest two seconds of my life and said, “He-hello, I’m your daughter…Call me.” 


"Home Alone." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 12 Sept. 2013. Web. 09 Dec. 2013. 
                   


                   "Home Alone." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 12 Sept. 2013. Web. 09 Dec. 2013. 
                   

5 comments:

  1. nice story david! i really liked it. nice job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brooke. I really appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. I think your story is very good i especially like the quote "I obviously thought of the worst due to my female genes." its gives the story a good effect. overall your story is based on a good idea and is well written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words can't describe how much i enjoyed reading your comment. I hope to see a world filled with amazing people who comment like you. Thank you Yoni.

      Delete
  3. it's a really nice story, well written. One of the best (after mine) short stories I have read so far. peace.

    ReplyDelete