Thursday, December 5, 2013

No New Messages


7:27.
Still, nothing.The screen stares back at me, blank.

7:30.
“No new messages.”

7:32.
Maybe she’s busy? She could be talking to someone on the bus. Maybe she can’t see her phone. Or hear it. Or feel the little text message vibration. It’s probably just in her bag.

7:35.
Maybe she’s mad at me? I mean, last night my sarcasm was a little more offensive than usual and it’s hard to tell the difference from attitude and dry humor online. It’s probably because I said her bum looked saggy in her leggings. Friends are supposed to be honest, though. Right? Maybe I was a little too honest? Is that possible? I’m sure it is. I mean, otherwise, she wouldn’t be mad. Right? Maybe it’s because I wouldn’t buy her that cookie at lunch, even though it was only because I didn’t have enough money; otherwise, I totally would’ve. She has to know that. Right? I mean, we are best friends; we must have some kind of telekinetic connection because we laugh at all the same things without even looking at each other.

7:36
Oh god. This is it. Our friendship is over. No more Saturday night Disney marathons with extra buttery popcorn and garlic powder; no more poolside people-watching in the summer; no more of our “workout sessions” that would always end in chocolate feasts as a reward. Who am I going to cry to when my shows get too dramatic to handle? Who is gonna pick out her dresses for the school dances? What if she already has a new BFFLADUNDUP (Best Friend For Life And Death Until Never Do Us Part)?

7:36.
“No new messages.” Honestly, no conversation is interesting enough not to check your phone in the middle, especially when our “good morning” texts are an established tradition. How am I supposed to have a good morning now? Maybe she’s mad, but she should be mature enough to text me back, even if it’s for the last time. 

7:37.
She’s obviously ignoring me. B***h. I most definitely will not have a good morning, and it’s all her fault. 

7:38.
I bet she’ll make up some stupid excuse like, “My phone was dead,” or, “You know who was talking to me, sorry,” or, “Oh, whoops. The sound was off.” I think we all know what’s going on here though: she wants me out of her life, and our four years of BFFLADUNDUPship has meant less than nothing.

7:39.
“Oh, hi. What’s up?” 




7 comments:

  1. OMG it happens to me all the time. True story sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, I loved your story! I loved how you created a new (differnt) format of flash fiction... It was very fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the desperation the main character shows. Great story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. believe it or not, it's not based on anyone I know

      Delete
  4. cute story nadine really loved it good job

    ReplyDelete