Thursday, December 5, 2013

Goal

Goal

It was at my last soccer game of the season at half time, and my team had yet to score in a game against the boys. “I don’t care if you kill them, I want to see your teeth on the ground,” yelled my coach. He told us that this game is really important because if we didn’t win we wouldn’t be able to come back to the best boy’s league next year. As we went on the field my heart started pounding with excitement and nervousness. I was new on the team, and this was my chance to prove myself as a good player. Only three minutes left in the game. The score remained 0-0. I could feel the frustration in the air, and I decided that it was up to me to change that. “C’mon girls give it all you got! Don’t give up, we can do it!”  I shouted. Suddenly I saw an opportunity when the center back lost the ball. I took the ball and couldn’t see anything but the goal and how I wanted the ball to be inside that net. I saw my teammate open so I gave her a pass and she returned the favor perfectly and at that point I knew it was my time. I shot the ball and while it was in the air, time stood still. All I could think was that if it did not go in, it would be my entire fault and I wasted our one and only chance. I shut my eyes and crossed my fingers for that perfect goal. All of a sudden I heard a bee buzzing in my ears. As soon as I opened my eyes to see if I made the shot, I felt a stinger in my eye. I screamed so loud that I couldn’t tell whether my team was cheering or not, and I couldn’t see. I felt my legs go out from under me, as someone knocked me over. I wasn’t sure if it was a teammate or the defender. Slowly my other eye opened, I saw the long hair of my teammates all around my face. Even though I couldn’t see, I could still feel the excitement of the game. 








9 comments:

  1. Your story is so inspirational, brought tears to my eyes. (get it that's a pun in reference to you being stung in the eye)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks love bug :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can totally imagine myself in this situation. GREAT STORY (thumbs up)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the twist a lot. Well written and the ending was not expected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the story. The plot was intriguing and had me on the edge of my seat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Anthime
    THank you Javi
    you guys are a bunch of sweet people

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Katie appreciate it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gina, I love your story. I like how you described the way you scored the goal. The last two sentences are beautiful! I enjoyed reading your story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete