Monday, December 9, 2013

The Mind Trap

I look around me, how did I end up in the midst of these scary, pale green looking creatures, with a big, heavy, metal gun in my hand? All this is so different from playing behind that nice, large computer screen operating the same gun with the remote control. Is this real? Was I really pulled into the screen, or was the screen pulled into my mind?

I hate this game. I never even noticed these creatures had such long, sharp, yellow, and bloody teeth. This scenery is making me sick.

And yet, it is so addictive, or should I say, was so addictive. Even at my young age, I find it so entertaining to shoot zombies, aliens, strange creatures, kill people with tanks and guns, and to be a superhero. When I get out of this world, if I get out of this world, I will never lay my hands on the remote that led me into this mess; it’s too dangerous.

Why am I thinking of what I would do when I get back? I must stay focused. For now, I must think of these creatures around me, and how to escape from them. The air is starting to feel cold and dark. A thick, heavy fog approaches, and I realize the creatures have glowing red eyes when they are within it. Suddenly, I feel even more terrified, my heart is beginning to race, and I am beginning to doubt myself, thinking I can’t escape them. What if I die with the strike of one sharp, painful claw? Will I get another life, like when I was playing on the large, 22 inch computer screen around twenty minutes ago? I never noticed how violent this game was before I ended up here.

But why did I end up here? What did I do wrong? Everyone plays this game when they have the chance, why am I any different?

This must be a sign from God. Mom always tells me that God has blessed us with the ability to think and understand, and it would be such a waste to spend our time, money, and brains on these silly computer games, full of violence and killing. Have I misused God’s blessings? I am beginning to understand now, and…WAIT, I still need to get out of here!

As the creatures crawl closer to me, a number of them even on me, I notice something strong bugging my left eye. I turn around, and I see a small ray of light from the distance. Is this some kind of illusion? Is this a dream? Where did it come from? I kick the creatures creeping up my legs, lift up my gun, and attempt to shoot one of the creatures out of my way. Although I miss its head, because the gun is bigger and heavier than I am, I still manage to shoot it in the leg, and it falls to the ground. I look at it one last time, before it vanishes into thin air, and I begin running towards the light. I am running as fast as I can; trying to move my frozen legs. The suit I am wearing is so heavy; it is almost impossible to walk with. I can hear the creatures going crazy behind me, but I can’t take the risk and look back, they will get me if I do. The closer I get to the light, the brighter it becomes, and the thick, choking fog slowly vanishes.

Could this light be…the exit? I must try to reach it; I can’t afford to stay here any longer. I want to see my family again, and I promise I’ll listen to my mom. I just hope I can reach it before these creatures catch up to me. Please, God, make this the exit, please. I promise I will do my chores. I will listen to mom, and I will be much more careful about the blessing which you have given me.


As I continue running towards the light, I turn around to see if the creatures are still on my trail, but they are not. I stop, catch my breath, and look around me; the speck of light suddenly begins to soar towards the direction where the creatures are. This time, I do not follow it. Soon enough, the darkness returns. The creatures are all gone. There is no light. I am all alone.


Barrie, Krieg. Man Trapped in Computer. Digital image. GoodSalt. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.

8 comments: