Monday, December 9, 2013

The Bridge

          “Remember that bridge where we met? The one at the park?” I asked Leah.
          “I can’t believe that you even have to ask me that question; of course I remember it,” she replied.
          “Didn’t you ever wonder what happened to the park? Why it closed?” I asked
          “Well yeah, but I mean I’m sure it had its reasons,” she answered.
          “Yeah, I guess you’re right,” I replied to her in a quiet voice. About half an hour later Leah blurted out, “Do you think it would be alright if we went to the park?”
          “ Well yeah, but I mean, maybe you’re right, maybe there was a reason for the park to close,” I answered.
          “ Come on, I bet it’s not that bad,” she said as she got up. I got up after her and we left the house.
          We had walked for about five minutes when we finally reached the park. As we entered the park, we saw the bridge right ahead of us.
          “Look! That’s it! That’s the bridge!” She said in excitement. But something was different. The park wasn’t like it used to be. It seemed more like some kind of enchanted forest to me. The sound of the chirping birds, the water running under the bridge, the fresh air. I didn’t understand why the park was closed. Nothing seemed wrong with it.
          “ This place has not changed one bit,” Leah said to me. We only spent about ten minutes in the park.
          The next day at school Leah came up to me and asked, “Can we work on our project in the park today?”
          I stood silent for a few seconds, trying to understand what made her change her mind about the park, and then I answered, “Sure.”

          When the school bell rang, I went straight to my car and started to drive. When I got to the park, Leah was already there waiting with a big smile on her face. I got out of my car and walked into the park with Leah. The first thing that I saw as I walked in was the bridge, but something was different, I just didn’t know what. I stood by the entrance trying to figure it out. The bridge that I knew brought Leah and I together for a reason; it gave us memories. But all of those memories disappeared when the bridge collapsed.
Madidi. "The Old Bridge, Tollymore Forest Park." Panoramio. N.p., 25 July 2008. Web. 09 Dec. 2013.

4 comments: