Thursday, December 5, 2013

Golden Road

                Today I woke up at seven, just like every other morning. It was nice and cool outside, so I decided to go for a jog. I went outside the town and jogged on the old road that was no longer used. It was gray; according to the sayings of old, venerable people, it used to be golden. That’s right, golden. This, however, made no sense to anyone my age. Gold was just money; it couldn’t be used to build roads. Besides, the road seemed gray to me.
                I decided to jog till the end of the road. It was quite interesting how this road appeared narrower than the highways. At first, all the roads in this country looked the same: just some gray, mundane roads. This road was an exception. There was nothing ordinary about it. Yes, it was gray, but it wasn’t the ‘highway’ gray. It was that shiny gray, almost silver. Maybe it really was golden once… Dark clouds started appearing in the sky. The road was blending with the clouds in the distance. Soon, the road disappeared.
                I still wanted to reach the end. Even though I couldn’t see where the road was taking me, I still followed it, until I completely lost it. I couldn’t see it. I froze in the middle of nowhere. Where was I, anyway? I never jogged on this road, and I thought it would be a peaceful one since no one was using it. I wanted to turn back and go home, but I was too far away. I HAD to reach the end of this road. There was something mysterious about it.
                It started to rain. Heavy rain washed the dullness of the sky and showed me where the road was. It wasn’t the same one, however. This was just a boring highway going everywhere, but leading nowhere. A small house appeared in the distance. It was gray and it had the sign “Pay here” above the doors. I reached inside my pocket, but it was empty. I left my money on the table in my room. I jogged back home. I was jogging slowly. The road lost its magical appearance. No, this isn’t the same road, is it? It can’t be. This one wasn’t golden…

The road led me back home. Once I got there, I realized I was late for work.


7 comments:

  1. I love the deeper meaning behind the story Paula. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to know what was inside that house so much. You did a great job of pulling the reader into the story. It's very fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that the house was interesting to you. Thank you, Daniela.

      Delete
  3. GREAT STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing story, Paula!! I love the little changes you made in the ending. Your story is great. I wonder how you imagined the plot of your story... it's very nice.

    ReplyDelete